10 Years and Counting!
OMG, it's January 2022 and I'm awestruck! Not only do our nation's 911 professionals continue to amaze me and be the heroes we know and love, but this month Moetivations celebrates 10 years of serving 911 agencies, their leaders, dispatchers, and telecommunicators. Wow, what a ride it's been! I didn't plan to be an entrepreneur, but a decade ago I hit burnout. And instead of finding another job, I launched Moetivations to help you...us...conquer the hard times this industry delivers.
Over the last 10 years I have made a series of decisions--some good, some not so good--and have hired some amazing people! Most days I've been so excited to get up and get after it, and other days I've been discouraged, disappointed, lied to, and, frankly, have been more excited about your future than mine. But I have never forgotton why I started this business, nor have I forgotton what I love about you and this industry.
I am honored and grateful for the support so many have shown me since 1994, the year I first started working in Public Safety. This journey has been good for the soul, and now, in celebration of 10 years of business, here are 10 of my favorite takeways I've learned along the way:
1) Trust your tribe and always stick to the policy, "No assholes allowed!"
2) You CANNOT do everything on your own, so work hard to develop your team, even if that means showing "tough love" to some and "the door" to others.
3) Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Stay focused on your mission, because too many irons in the fire is a distraction.
4) Read up on Imposter Theory. If you've earned your place, get over this theory.
5) Some people are rude or won't like you, and that's okay. Be kind to them anyway.
6) Keep learning and growing, evolving, and figuring it out. Conquer your fears and be sure to have fun along the way!
7) Always be a joy seeker and take time to heal from your toughest days.
8) Ask for what you need, do not tolerate people treating you poorly, and have high expectations of yourself and others.
9) Its okay to make mistakes. Just be sure to learn from them so you can move forward and improve.
10) Sometimes you'll be embarrassed, get knocked down and want to cry. Just be sure to get back up....and dance!
I'm celebrating all of you 911 professionals today. You are why I keep going, so here's to the next 10 years...it's challenges, triumphs, bonds we'll build, and memories we'll create together.